Thursday, October 01, 2009

Two-for-one deal

You may remember that back in July we were given a Guinea Pig. A family from church had a litter of them, and gave us Squeaky (who they had named Fred). They were SURE it was a boy. Ok, fast forward 2 months, and this morning Aaron went downstairs to give Squeaky "his" food for the day, and found this critter in the cage, along with Squeaky.

Well, you can imagine our surprise. When he showed it to me, I wasn't even sure what I was looking at. It freaked me out just a bit. Aaron was sure (and I agreed) that it looked to be about 2 weeks old, so all we could imagine was that someone had come into our house and given us a pig that they didn't want. It sounds silly to me now as I type it, but we couldn't imagine another possibility, given the fact that it looked so old, and Squeaky was a boy!

Well, someone on Facebook asked me if I was 100% sure that it was a boy.....I mean, who among us knows how to tell the sex of a Guinea Pig?! Plus, I was thinking, "well, we've had it for 2 months.....what would the gestation period be?" Also, we'd gotten Squeaky when she was a baby herself, so I didn't see how it was possible. So, thanks to the good old internet, I looked up that very question, and it turns about that about 60 days is average, and that a female can get pregnant at as early as 4 wks. old. Hmmm....And then I saw a picture on the internet of a newborn Guinea Pig. They are born with lots of fur, and they're actually fairly big....they look just like a full-grown one, only smaller. I was envisioning that a baby would be pretty hairless and ugly, and would look like a little mouse or something. So, I have come to the conclusion that this is, indeed, Squeaky's progeny. Now I need to research how long I should leave them in the same cage, because, yes, we could end up w/more pigs if we're not careful. I know, I know, that's a whole other issue, but it's a distinct possibility if this new one is a boy....which I'll let Aaron try to figure out!

Oh, and I guess I'll have to admit that I'm glad Squeaky only had one baby!!!

0 comments: