Monday, July 20, 2009

The hills were alive, with the sound of music (Hills Alive 2009)

Well, I say it every year, but Hills Alive was great again....if you're ever looking for a FREE music festival the 3rd weekend of July, head up to Rapid City, SD.

One highlight was that I got to spend the weekend with Mary Jo, one of my closest friends. We camped next to her and her family, as well as some other families from their church in the sandhills.

Here are Paul and Miranda looking pretty darn pumped about seeing Mt. Rushmore....again.....we took a high school girl with us, and she'd never seen it, so we made the trip. I guess I'm more easily amazed than they are, but every time I go there I'm again reminded of what a feat it was to carve something like 4 faces in the side of a mountain.


Ok, even if downhere was the only group that was performing, we would have gone! They are our favorites!!! And they did not disappoint....they sound at least as good in concert, which is incredible. I could go on and on, but I've talked about them in a couple of other posts. I'll just say this...if you haven't discovered them, you should check out their site, download a few songs, and just get to know this incredible band!
Jason Germain--co-lead vocalist

Glenn Lavender--bass/trumpet (wow on the trumpet!!)

Marc Martel--co-lead vocalist (think Freddy Mercury...check him out on youtube)

And, oh wow!!!! This was a dream-come-true!!! We got to meet them backstage, thanks to a friend of mine in Chadron. We actually got to talk with them for a bit and everything! It was sooo cool.


Here we are with the whole band (the guy next to Aaron is their drummer, Jeremy Thiessen...didn't get a good shot of him during the concert). I LOVE this picture!

Skillet

Another favorite group of ours...Newworldson. These guys are truly talented...kind of a blend of jazz/blues/rock. I love their sound.

Newworldson at the autograph table.

Avalon....great harmonies, and it was fun to hear them because I know most of their songs.

I didn't get any pictures of Big Daddy Weave or Kutless....but the headliner was Casting Crowns, and of course they were great. This is one of their female singers, singing a song we do in worship team, "Praise you with the dance." I kind of think we look alike, but maybe that's just me. I wish my camera did a little better, especially when it's dark.

Mark Hall of Casting Crowns. He was so down-to-earth, and related very well to the audience. You can tell this group is very sincere in its efforts to reach people, especially youth.

4 comments:

Walkers said...

It was great spending time with you!! I sure wish we could do it more often. Call ANYTIME!!!!

Charlie said...

Glad you had such a great time! And as a little side note...Sunday as special musice there was a video of Casting Crowns...Careful little eyes (I think)...and I did think you two looked alike ( you are a little thinner though). It could be that the musical ability/gifts are so outstounding in you both!

Bley's Blog said...

Looks like you had a great time! Very cool pictures.

Dillan Family said...

wow! you got to see all kinds of great musicians!