Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Behrends Infirmary

It hasn't been our best week ever. Miranda came down with a fever on Monday, and started throwing up. Today, she finally went to the pool again, so she must be feeling better. Yesterday, Sonya started with the same symptoms, and today it was Olivia, although she hasn't thrown up yet. I guess I should be grateful that this didn't happen while we were on vacation! And I'm also grateful that, so far, Paul, Aaron and I are all doing fine.
***Update***Paul has "it" now. "It" has turned out to be: Herpangina is caused by Coxsackie virus, typically Coxsackie group A viruses. Herpangina is characterized by mouth ulcers, but a high fever, sore throat, and headache may precede the appearance of the sores.
The sores are generally
ulcers with a white to whitish-gray base and a red border -- usually on the roof of the mouth and in the throat. The ulcers may be very painful. Generally, there are only a few sores.
The number of cases of herpangina is unknown, but it is a common childhood infection. Cases of herpangina at school or in the neighborhood increase the chances your child will develop the illness.


I'm sure you wanted to know all of that. :-) I took Miranda and Paul to the Dr. today, so that's how I know. Sonya is doing really well, but Olivia is still under the weather, and now that I know what to look for, I can see the sores on her tonsils, as well as Paul's. Paul's fever got as high as 103.9 last night, so that was a little scary. But hopefully they'll all be ok in a few days. It's created a lot of family togetherness this week :-)

If you look closely, you'll see Smokey

Smokey isn't sick, but I thought this picture pretty much captured the essence of what's going on at our house right now--lots of sleep--which isn't always a bad thing!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

charlie said...

Illness in the summer seem to be the most aweful!! We went through that last year and I don't wish that upon any one!!! I pray that health will return to your whole household!

Wheelers said...

Awww...the girls look so miserable on that chair :( Hope they all feel better soon.

Bley's Blog said...

Yucky! I hope you are all well soon, and you and Aaron don't get it. Love your header!

sixbehrs said...

Thanks about the header, Tiff. Your wonderful sister made it (as if you didn't figure that out, probably :-)

The McCrumb 6 said...

There just must be something in the air cause we have had it all week to. I hope that the girls get over it fast.