Monday, September 24, 2007

What in the world is better because of you?

Today Aaron and I went to the annual in-service that is held for the teachers in this area. I usually go to it with all of the anticipation of going to the dentist (which I have to do tomorrow, incidentally). But this year's keynote speaker was excellent. His name was Dave Zimmer, and he's been a principal, teacher, and coach. His speech was titled, "Top Ten Ways to Lead a Significant Life." I was especially struck by his last point (actually it was point #1 because he did it like David Letterman--from 10 to 1). "What in the world is better because of you?" He had us think about all of the roles that we have(mother, sister, friend, wife, teacher....), and how we can improve our little corner of the world through those roles. It was a good time to reflect on how I can make my corner better, even if it's just here in my own home. Zimmer also drove home the point that no on on his deathbed will say, "man, I wish I would have gotten that big-screen TV." A man on his deathbed will regret not telling someone, "I love you," or, "thank you." Sounds pretty simplistic and maybe even obvious, but it was a good reminder to me.

3 comments:

Dave Ja Vu said...

Amen!

And think about how many lives you get to touch through the school and the church, home, friendships, even a simple trip to the grocery store! And knowing you and Aaron, I know you've touched a lot of lives in great ways!

I'd say you already live a very significant life. Maybe you should be giving the seminar someday...

:-)

The Maris' said...

It sounds like a seminar I would like to attend sometime. It is amazing how many lives we affect every day. I am so glad that you guys are a part of ours!

The Hoskovec's said...

WOW! I agree with Dave and Kim! Being involved with as much as you guys are, you get through to so many people in Southwest NE and beyond! It sounded like a great day! Hope your dentist appt. went good?!?