Saturday, September 08, 2007

Reflections on moving
Maybe the title of this post should be, "reflections on the possibility of moving." A couple of things have struck me the past few days, as we've been working like crazy to box a bunch of stuff to make our house more "sellable" (i.e. less cluttered). As I've been going through stuff, I've asked myself the question, "can I live without this for a month?" It's amazing to me that, almost overwhelmingly, the answer has been "yes." Books, clothes, nick-nacks, and just odds-and-ends--so much of it I rarely use. I hold on to it, just thinking, "well, I might need that someday." And I don't even really consider myself a terrible packrat--I've seen much worse. My mom has been helping an elderly relative of ours to clean out her basement, with the idea that she may move into some type of assisted living. My mom found receipts from the 50s, and just tons of "stuff" that has been there for decades. I pray that I never put that burden on anyone else, and that throughout the years I can purge myself of "stuff," or not collect it in the first place. After all, as they say, "you can't take it with you!"

Another thought I've had--several people have said to me, "after all that work you put into your house, why would you sell it?" That's a good question, and for those of you who have read my blog for a while, you have seen the pictures of our various and sundry projects. Well, we knew we needed to put on new siding. It was either that, or paint it again. With new siding, it makes sense to do windows, plus many of them were in terrible shape. Over the past few years, we've kept our eyes open for something with more space. Nothing has really opened up until now. The timing might seem strange, but I guess if this all works out, God has a sense of humor, or something! Anyway, I felt the need to explain that, as some people are probably scratching their heads!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. Why not improve the house you're in and make the most of it? We are feeling the crunch from lack of space too, and are looking--after a lot of work on this house. Sometimes you just plain outgrow it!

Dave

Dillan Family said...

We'll be praying God will direct your paths. How exciting for you!